Sunday, May 18, 2014

Peculiar

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

This is the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which I loved and couldn't put down two years ago. The premise of it was neat. Weird pictures from the past provided the ideas for the story, and it was brilliant. This one, not so much. I feel like the author tried to hard to make the story work around the pictures, and it felt contrived.

It took forever to read this one too. I started it one weekend when I ran out of TAYSHAS books, and I had a hard time staying focused. Then, nearly a month ago, my ginormous puppy thought it would be a good idea to eat the hardcover off of the book because he didn't get enough attention from my husband one night. Just this week, I met with my librarian friends, and, using the dust cover, turned this damaged hardback into a paperback. I was finally able to read it again a few days ago. Still, it was hard to stay focused, and I felt like I was forcing myself to read this. We were in the car for roughly six hours today, and it was the perfect opportunity to finish.

This book picks up right where the first one leaves off. The peculiar children are having to escape their island with their injured ynebryne to try to find someone who can help her back into her human shape. Along the way, they meet some interesting animals, gypsies, and other peculiars. Not to mention that they have to go through several loops to accomplish their task. Will they manage to get Miss Peregrine back?

Hated the last twenty or so pages of the book, and it was left wide open for a third installment. I dearly hope it is better than this was. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment