Sunday, May 28, 2017

Final Installment of Letters in a Hatbox

Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Not as good as the first in the series, but better than the second. This one finds Lara Jean in the last semester of her senior year of high school. She is waiting to hear back from her dream college, and is still with her boyfriend, Peter. Prom is coming up, and her dad is marrying the neighbor lady.

Lara Jean gets into her second choice school, and right away, her boyfriend has convinced her that she can go there for a year, and then transfer to her dream school--where he is. I hate that. I hate that Peter doesn't give her a chance to find what she wants, and just decides and convinces her to do what he wants.

Honestly, the story is sweet, but I couldn't love it because of Peter. I get that he is her first love, and she wants to be with him, I do. However, I am all about being yourself. A girl/woman should not have to be defined by the man in her life, and Lara Jean has so much going for herself. I was even more pissed at his character when he gets mad at her for changing her mind about college and transferring to be with him. Seriously, it's a high school relationship. Odds are, it isn't going to last, particularly going to schools four hours apart.

Sorry I couldn't give more about this.I am not a feminist, but sheesh, this book sets girls back a ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment