Monday, May 15, 2017

Third, But Likely Not the Last

King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard

I loved Red Queen, and the second book was ok. I liked the first two-thirds of this one. It was the last third, and especially the end, that I was losing interest.

When the book starts, Mare has been captured by Maven. One would think he would have her executed, as that is what you do with enemies that you consider terrorists, but he doesn't. No, he keeps her captive in a cell lined with silent stone to quell her ability to use her lightning. He keeps "bracelets" on her wrists to drain her energy and diminish her ability to nothing. He keeps her a prisoner, but for what? I, personally, think it is because he has a thing for her. He can't have her. She's the enemy. It would be inappropriate. And yet, he keeps her.

Even better, Evangeline loses her chance to be queen. Ha! Maven marries someone else, although, it doesn't really matter that he does because Evangeline's father names himself king of another region.

So, the parts of the book when Mare is prisoner are pretty good. When she finally manages to escape is where the book started to devolve for me. Sure, the Scarlet Guard keeps doing what they need to do to thwart Maven and his rule, but it was boring to me.

The end bothered me because I thought this was the end of a trilogy. If it had been, it would have had a better ending. There are still loose ends that need to be tied up, and I don't know if I am up to reading another of these if they are anything like the last third of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment