Monday, May 15, 2017

The Consequences of Our Actions

Just Between Us by J. H. Trumble

It's no secret that I like this author's work. It also doesn't hurt that I have met this author, and after reading three of her four books, I now have a little hero worship thing going on.

True confession time: I didn't realize that her first three books go together. Luke from the first book makes a few appearances in the second book, and he's one of the main characters in this book. I feel silly that I didn't pick that up until 1)the author mentioned it in an email and 2)I got a chapter into this book. For those of you keeping track: this book was written third, but takes place second.

As I said, this book follows Luke, who was used by Nate in Don't Let Me Go. Luke is back from Odessa, where they moved because his father was not dealing well with the fact that Luke is gay. Luke now lives on the same street as Curtis, who is a former drum major for Luke's new high school. Luke is not doing so well at the beginning, in terms of marching band. In fact, he's a bit of a joke. Curtis befriends him and things turn around. Luke really likes Curtis, and it is clear that Curtis really likes him.

Unfortunately, Curtis gets a phone call that changes everything, and he won't let himself fall for Luke. He doesn't feel that Luke should be embroiled in what's going on, plus he wants to keep Luke safe, or as safe as he can. Not to mention that Curtis doesn't tell the most important people in his life what is going on, and goes through a bit of a self destructive streak.

This is told in alternating perspectives, and I like being able to see how both Curtis and Luke feel about what is going on. I also like that Ms. Trumble writes about the area I live in, and the university that has bestowed a bachelor's and now Master's degree upon me. There's nothing like reading about places you're familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment