Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Importance of Being Impulsive

Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes

I have become quite the fan of Ms. Moyes since reading Me Before You, even if most of the books I have read of hers are from that trilogy. At any rate, I saw this one at the store, read the back, and thought I would give it a shot. It was worth my time. Speaking of time, I had thirty hours in the car (though I drove 11 of them) that I could have read, but didn't. Instead, I ended up reading and finishing this on my puddle jumper flight from Kalispell, Montana to Denver, Colorado yesterday.

Like Moyes' other works that I have read, this focuses on a female protagonist. In this case, it is Nell from England who has impulsively (for her) booked a weekend excursion to Paris.  She's the type of person who researches everything and makes lists of pros and cons before she does anything.

She's on her way to Paris on the train, and finds out her boyfriend is not going to go with her. Her first instinct is to go back home, but there is no room on the next train. Then, when she gets to her well-researched hotel, she finds that her room is double booked. Despite everything going wrong, she decides to stay.

As it turns out, this is the best possible thing for Nell. She finds a part of herself that she never would have if she had never come to Paris or if she'd gone home. This was a sweet story, and took up slightly more than half the book. The rest is taken up by some short stories. These stories were cute, but not the reason to buy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment