Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Summer Book 10

To My Sister by Marci

This may be cheating a little because it is so short, but it is almost 100 pages and has a spine, so I feel like it qualifies as a book. 

My sister gave this to me in July 2014, when she was pregnant with my niece and nephew. For some reason, this wasn't on my bookshelf, and I came across it with another book in a bin of school supplies. I have been thinking about my sister a lot lately, for a variety of reasons, so I felt like now was a good time to read this. Almost everything in this explains how I feel about my relationship with my sister.

I say almost everything because we didn't grow up together, or rather, she grew up with an older sister, but I didn't grow up with a younger sister. In fact, it's a little complicated. 

In December 1995, my dad married my sister's mom, thus technically making her my stepsister. I was nineteen, and she was five. Because my dad and I had a rocky relationship, she and I weren't close. That didn't start to happen until about a decade later. I regret that we weren't closer sooner, but we are much closer now, so it makes things better.

Then, in December 2013, my dad and her mom divorced, thus meaning we technically weren't related anymore. The thing is, when someone has been your sister for eighteen years, something as silly as a divorce doesn't break the sisterly bond. I've seen her graduate high school, college, get married, and have babies. She's an amazing aunt to my children, and she was a huge comfort the weekend I left my oldest child in Montana--2,000 miles away from home.

Like I said, most of the sisterly sentiments contained in this book speak to the nature of our relationship. If you have a sister, I highly recommend this for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment