Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Summer Book 9

Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

I want to be upfront and say I most likely won't do this book the justice it deserves. This is one of those that touched me, and I have noticed I don't always express what I need to say as well as I should/could.

The main character, Samantha, or Sam as she prefers to be called, suffers from OCD. It causes her to have insomnia and sometimes have disturbing thoughts. She's obsessed with the number three. She has a group of friends that she's known since kindergarten, the Eights, but lately she's been questioning whether they are really her friends.

On the first day of school, she meets Caroline. Caroline convinces her to meet her in the auditorium on Thursday and gets her to join (or try to) the Poet's Corner. There's a bit of resistance at first because AJ, who is basically their bouncer, doesn't want to let her in. The reason for this is because when Sam was younger, she teased/bullied AJ about his stuttering. So, Sam has to prove that she belongs. She must do something right because they allow her to join them.

Every Wednesday, Sam sees her psychiatrist, Sue. Sue has been working with Sam for five years, and has told Sam she needs to branch out from the Eights, but Sam has been hesitant to do so. Now that she has Caroline and the people in Poet's Corner, she is starting to see that there is life beyond the Eights. Also, Sam begins to get romantically involved with AJ.

Between her new friends, a boyfriend, and her poetry, Sam is starting to feel "normal." Not long after sharing this with Sue, something happens to rock Sam's world, and everything comes crashing down.
Will Sam ever recover from this event?

In all honesty, I really enjoyed this. I hated for it to end. Even with the plot twist that I kinda saw coming, I didn't want to put this one down. I look forward to seeing what else this author has out in the world because something tells me it will be worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment