Thursday, June 12, 2014

Summer Book #2

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

On Saturday, I almost bought this book. I have almost bought this book on multiple occasions. What finally made me buy it and read it? I saw the trailer for the movie that they made from this book.

Mia is a cellist. She is a senior in high school, and recently applied and auditioned for Julliard. One morning, there is a snow day, so her family decides to go visit friends. On the way there, their car is hit. Mia's parents both died at the scene, but Mia and her brother, Teddy, are both alive, though barely.

The story is told by Mia, although it's her conscious, I guess, and not actually physical Mia. She sees herself with all the tubes and wires, but she is unconscious. Anyway, Mia has to decide whether to join her family in death or live without them. She reflects on her life, her best friend, her boyfriend, her family, and uses these memories to determine whether to live or die.

This pulled at my heartstrings, and made me nearly cry several times. So worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment