Sunday, June 5, 2016

Summer Reading #1

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

I read this when I was eleven, but didn't finish until I was thirteen. This didn't hold my attention at the time, and I let other books come before this one. So, I decided to re-read this, hoping that I would enjoy it more now that I am older. I didn't.

First, there is the problem of this bearing no resemblance to the book I read all those many years ago, which means I probably read Through the Looking Glass, as I remember reading about Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, the chess game, and other things that, apparently, pop up in that book.

Second, I have seen several movie incarnations of this book, and this is problematic too. Very little of this book is actually covered in the movies, and that which isn't is somewhat boring.

So, it looks like I need to read the second Alice book to see if it is what I read when I was a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment