Thursday, June 2, 2016

Ending of a Magical Trilogy

The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Now that Gemma has trapped Circe, you'd think that all would be well, and Gemma can share the magic with the inhabitants of the realm as she has wanted. Sadly, you would be wrong. More people than ever are after Gemma and her power, and plan to sacrifice her to the Tree of All Souls in the Winterlands. The people who are after Gemma will do anything to get to her, including trying to recruit her brother.

In this post, I want to focus less about what happens in terms of plot, and more on the things that bothered me. The biggest thing that I found bothersome were Gemma's "friends." I have a hard time believing that they loved Gemma for who she was as a person, and instead only loved her because she was a vessel for the magic. I believe this because they were always giving her a hard time if she didn't bend to their will whenever they wanted to go to the realms and she didn't. Friends aren't supposed to guilt friends the way those girls did. Felicity, an admiral's daughter, was lower on the food chain than Gemma, yet she treated her as if she were her superior. At the time, these things would have mattered. Then Ann. I liked her for the most part, and I was happy when she finally did something for herself as herself. And Pippa? I know there is NO WAY that girl was Gemma's friend. She really only wanted what Gemma had, and I was happy to see what ultimately happened to her.

Then there's Kartik. For crying out loud! He could have just been real with Gemma after he was no longer in the Rakshanna instead of being distant and asshole-y.

On the whole though, I loved this trilogy. Gemma reminded me a bit of myself, and I could relate to a lot of things about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment