Saturday, June 18, 2016

Summer Reading #5

The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory

I have read several books by this author, as she writes about one of my favorite topics: Tudor England. Once I became fascinated with this time period, I read several books, both fiction and nonfiction, to acquaint myself with this era.

Going in, I knew a fair amount about Katherine Parr, the sixth wife of Henry VIII, but what is nice about Ms. Gregory's books is that the reader gets an insight as to what her subjects might have thought about what was going on around them. I love this because it gives the reader something they may not get from reading nonfiction books about these very real people.

That is not to say that these books are always historically accurate. This has never been a problem for me, as I am well versed enough from the nonfiction books I have read. However, it seems to be that Ms. Gregory takes as few liberties as possible when telling her stories of these great women. I have learned a great deal about the wives and daughters of Henry VIII, as well as the important women involved in the Wars of the Roses.

I always look forward to Ms. Gregory's novels, and just found out she has a new one coming out in the next couple of months. You can bet I will be ordering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment