Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Summer Reading #14/Fall Required Reading

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

First of all, graphic novels are not really my thing. That is not to say there was anything wrong with this book, but, if given the choice, I prefer text to graphics. Sorry, I just do. But, as this is required reading for one of my classes, I thought I'd go ahead and give it a go.

Sadly, there's a lot I don't know about Middle Eastern culture. In my role as a teacher, I have had some great opportunities to learn more, but I am still woefully ignorant about much having to do with the Middle East. This book gave me a chance to learn a little more.

This graphic novel is the autobiography from ages nine through fourteen of Marji. She is Iranian, and this story occurs during the fall of the shah, when Muslims started to take over the country. Marji and her family are staunch communists, and they are not fond of the strict regulations placed on them by the new regime. Friends and family members are jailed and executed for their "crimes," females are forced to wear veils, anything Western is forbidden, bombings occur regularly, etc. Marji though, she's a bit of a rebel. She gets in trouble at school for wearing jewelry and nail polish, for telling the truth about what is going on around them.

Mostly what I got out of this was that Marji was loved by those around her, but due to circumstances beyond her control, her life kinda sucked. I will say this: I am not sure why this book is frequently challenged. Seriously, there was nothing to object to, except the one time the f-bomb is dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment