Monday, July 13, 2015

Summer Reading #16/Work Related

Book Love by Penny Kittle

Three colleagues and I are implementing reader's/writer's workshop on our campus in the upcoming year. This was the book we chose to use for the reading component. There are so many great ideas in this book to turn students, even reluctant ones, into readers. Additionally, there are suggestions for assessing the reading component without giving tests or essay questions.

One thing I liked about this book is that the author included actual student work, as well as student profiles about some of the students who benefited from her class. This shows me that what I am about to implement actually works. Since there are people on my campus who believe this is not a legitimate teaching tool and likely to fail, this gives me encouragement that the naysayers are wrong. I only hope we achieve some of the success that Ms. Kittle did.

No comments:

Post a Comment