Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Summer Reading #19

We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

I was drawn to this book because of the cover. It's all black, with an asteroid at the top, and five teenagers at the bottom looking up at it. It was simple, and I was intrigued, so I read the front flap. The blurb on the flap indicated that this book would be about an athlete, a slut, a slacker, and an overachiever. Sounds similar to a movie from the 80's that I love, so I knew I'd eventually get it.

There are ten main chapters, counting down from ten to zero, and within those main chapters, are subchapters, each told by one of the characters. The premise of the book revolves around an asteroid that is passing very close to Earth, with a 66.6% chance of wiping everything out, and the way the lives of these four teenagers change over the course of ten weeks.

One wants to fulfill their dream of being a singer. Another doesn't want to die a virgin. One more wants their life to mean something. The last one just wants to believe in something. None are really friends at the beginning, but they somehow come together during all this craziness.

It was a pretty good read, and considering this is the author's first published book, I think we can look forward to more interesting reads in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment