Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Summer Reading #15

Blankets by Craig Thompson

I ordered this last week because a friend/co-worker recommended it to me, and it came in today. She told me it was more than 500 pages long, but easy to get yourself lost in. Admittedly, I forgot how long she said it was, so when it came in today, it was daunting. Not to mention that it is a graphic novel, which I have already stated I am not necessarily a fan of. I finished it in only a few hours.

This is an autobiography by Craig. At the beginning, we see him as a young boy of eight or nine, with his younger brother. He, Craig, is bullied by jerks at school. Something happens with the babysitter to Craig and his brother, and although we don't learn what it is until later, it's not good.

We then see Craig in high school, at church camp. He meets a girl, Raina, and he is smitten. They write and phone each other, and Craig goes to visit her for two weeks in the spring. Craig is head over heels for this girl, but she has too much going on in her life for her to commit just yet. Throughout the whole story, Craig wrestles with his faith.

Between the artwork and the story, you feel everything Craig feels. When he hurts, you hurt. When he is happy, so are you. I love books that draw you in like that.

Having finished two graphic novels today, I have learned that they have a lot to offer, and I shouldn't discount them just because they have pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment