Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Summer Reading #22

I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora

I went to Barnes and Noble today to spend $70 in gift cards, which allowed me to get eight books-seven for me, and one for my daughter. I really had no clue what I wanted, so I was perusing every title in the young adult area. You'd think this wasn't my third trip there in two weeks the way I was checking out all the books. Ha! Anyway, I saw this, and it sounded pretty good.

Lucy, our narrator, Elena, and Michael are finishing their eighth grade year, and are given a summer reading list with 6-8 books on that. They are disappointed because their previous teacher, who died some months before, promised them they would only have to read To Kill a Mockingbird. All three kids had read the book, and it is Lucy's favorite. The kids thought everyone should read the book, and they set about finding a way to get people to read it.

They go to various bookstores and libraries in their state, and move copies of the book to different locations in the stores. Their logic is that if people think there is a limited supply for the book, more people would try to buy it and read it. They set up a website and several social media accounts, and people from all over the place start moving/stealing books too.

I thought it was cute because it is rare these days for kids to be so passionate about books that they would go to these lengths to get people to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment